Monday, July 28, 2008

UCC Reunion in DC

Biz came down to DC to spend the weekend with me this past weekend! We had Thai Food at Pho Siam on Mt. Vernon Avenue Friday night. (Note: Pho Siam reeks of floor cleaner- at least its clean? - but the food is delicious.)

I have a theory on this: a never-ending cycle of cleanliness. Asian restaurants do a high order of take-out business, so they constantly re-clean an already clean restaurant, creating a pervasive Clorox odor which in turn deters people from having a sit-down meal, making them re-clean an already clean restaurant yet again. Ha. Back to regular weekend news. (Biz)

Saturday morning we went to the farmers market by my apartment. I bought blueberries, some
yellow nectarines, and the most delicious blackberries. They were the kind of blackberries that burst tart sweetness into your mouth when you bite into them. We ate them for breakfast both mornings and I finished them last night while watching Knocked Up on dvd in my empty apartment.

Biz bought a green pepper, some fantastic looking apricots, and apples. Post-market we swung by Cheesetique. Biz of course, bought lots of cheese (because Biz loves cheese). I believe she bought provolone, some sort of goat's milk cheese, and one with dried mangoes in it. Biz- a little help here for the readers on what kind of cheese you bought?

Right, I ended-up buying a little Stilton with mango and ginger and a more aged goat cheese (I forget the name). I'm surprised they sold the cheese in such small pieces (1/5-1/3 lb), most places won't let you buy less than 1/2 lb. I also got a piece of provolone from their $1.99 cheese bits bin. An awesome idea: I'm guessing when the larger blocks or wheels get too small, they sell the pieces.

We also picked up a walnut raisin boule, which made a delicious breakfast as well. Below is an artistically arranged photo by Biz of some apricots, apples, and blackberries from the farmers market with the boule.

Biz's breakfast plate Saturday morning, mango Stilton, blackberries, and walnut raisin boule.

Biz and Robin, Saturday evening at Busboys & Poets post-dinner.


After an afternoon trip to the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art to see an exhibit on Afghan treasures, Biz and I enjoyed dinner and dessert (and coffee- and wound up waddling around, I still feel full) at Busboys & Poets. We walked from the U Street/Cardozo area to Adams Morgan, where we browsed in the Idle Time Bookstore. (I bought the new Terry Pratchett novel, Making Money, and a book of Italian short stories side-by-side with the English translation. )
We walked to the metro via Dupont Circle, where Biz bought some wine at Bestcellers. (Officially my favorite wine store; too bad I don't live in Washington DC. They have wines arranged by flavor feel: fizzy, fresh, soft, luscious, juicy, smooth, big, or sweet.)
Hopefully Biz and my next rendez-vous will be in Pittsburgh before she leaves for Ireland, but if schedules do not permit, expect independent updates from us until we are able to have a grand reunion in Dublin at some point this fall. A vegetarian, Irish Thanksgiving, perhaps? We shall see...
In the meantime, find a friend and enjoy some very happy eating!


-Robin- and ~*'Biz'*~

No comments: