Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More Plums Means Cobbler

I called Biz today while I was walking home from the public library after work. We had a conversation about the Methley plums I bought at the farmers market on Saturday. I wanted to figure out what to do with them before they go bad.

Biz and I discussed my options for making a cobbler and the possibility that the plums may give off a bit more liquid than other stone fruits. I came home and fixed Amanda some dinner (leftovers of veggie sloppy joe's and a salad, nothing fancy) and started on my cobbler-ing.

To Do:

Wash and halve a pint of Methley plums, make sure to remove the pits. Place them cut side up in the baking dish.

In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups of oats, 2 tablespoons of margarine, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of water. I'd suggest melting the margarine to make it pourable. Use enough water to completely moisten the oats.

Pour the oats over plums and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes until the oats are fully cooked and starting to become a crispy topping.

Notes:

These plums were REALLY tart! Amanda and I enjoyed their tartness and the contrast with the topping, but if you don't like really sour plums, I'd suggest sprinkling a little brown sugar or honey over them before you put the topping on.

We also ate most of this cobbler while watching part of Gandhi, which we have currently on Netflix. The cobbler goes well with Ben Kingsley.

Happy Eating!

-Robin-

No comments: