Saturday, July 12, 2008

My Thai Choice in the DC area

In Pittsburgh, it's the Green Mango in Regent Square. In New York, it's a hole-in-the-wall place Emily found in Queens. In DC, it's .... well I've been hunting.

It is not: Pho Siam, Thai Peppers, or Old Town Thai (although I would get take out from Pho Siam or eat at Old Town Thai if I were on a date that was not going so well).

I'm looking for the place to take people that says "this is the GOOD Thai place in the DC area and I found it".

So Casey (law student/East End Food CoOp lover/pretty all-around amazing guy) and I had dinner at Mai Thai last night in Old Town Alexandria. Casey is one of my favorite people to share a meal with, not just because he's great company, but because he really really appreciates what he's eating. He's a total foodie.

Mai Thai is located at the very end of King Street, right infront of the water. We had the option of sitting outside (way too hot for that!) downstairs near the bar, or upstairs near the large windows that look out over the river. We decided on upstairs of course.

The service was ridiculously fast. We didn't drink but their cocktails looked impressive and relatively inexpensive (around $6 each). Here's what we got:


Casey ordered the Crispy Duck.

I order the Pad Thai Tofu.

Both of our food was incredible, very well balanced and generous on the tofu/duck. I had so much food that I wound up taking half home because I was stuffed and Amanda ate it for me. The atmosphere is bright and youthful in Mai Thai, it's a great Friday evening choice. I have plans to go there many more times in the future.
So if you find yourself in Old Town, take a stroll down King Street and indulge at Mai Thai.
Happy Eating!
-Robin-

No comments: