Sunday, July 6, 2008

An Afternoon in Naptown

Amanda (current roommate/UCC contributing editor/basically my big sister) and I took advantage of our guest-less apartment and the long weekend by taking an afternoon trip to Annapolis today.

Annapolis, the capital of Maryland- and little known fact- the capital of America very briefly before Washington DC - is only an hour's drive from where we live.

Capital building in Annapolis.
Mostly Amanda and I just strolled around the dock, checking out shops and taking pictures and enjoying the quaintness of the brick streets and old houses.
We had lunch at my favorite place: Chick and Ruth's Delly (165 Main Street, http://www.chickandruths.com/). It's been a family owned Jewish delicatessen since 1965. It has a very firm place in my family's history and in my heart and I wanted to share it, in all of its delicious craziness and glory, with Amanda.
We arrived around 1pm and it was completely packed. We squeezed into a little two-seater table and debated our food choices. Amanda marveled at the bright yellow and orange paint job, as well as the bagels hanging from the ceiling. Here are a few snapshots of what we ordered:

Fruit cup, that way my mom can't say I didn't eat anything healthy today.
Amanda got a fried crab cake wrap. This was Amanda's first Maryland crab experience. She thought it was pretty tasty.

Chick and Ruth's is famous for their Delly Potatoes. I got two orders.


Yes, those are homemade pickles. And they're amazing.

That's a real bagel hanging from the ceiling. They're all over the Delly, but I forget the funny story that goes along with that. I'll have to ask my mom.

I look very Jewish in this Jewish Delly, eating this kosher pickle.

After lunch, Amanda and I wandered into The Cook's Revenge (197 Main Street) a gourmet cookware shop. We wound up buying a Franmara Capitano Professional Waiter's Corkscrew, because as I learned when we had guests a few weekends ago, we do not own a corkscrew. Which, for aspiring lushes, is a problem. Problem now solved, thanks Cook's Revenge. Here are a few shots from inside the store, which I highly recommend going to if you're in need of fun, mildly useless cooking gadgets and are in downtown Annapolis.

Lots of fun kitchen gadgets.

There is a fabulous painting of Julia Child that hangs in The Cook's Revenge.

Amanda, choosing a corkscrew for our apartment from a wide selection of fancy corkscrews.

So that was our day, culinarily-speaking in Annapolis. More recipes, restaurant reviews, and interesting day trips are on their way!

Happy Eating!

-Robin-

No comments: