Sunday, April 6, 2008

Robin's Typical Lunch

In my never ending quest to eat well (including switching my morning breakfast routine to lots and lots of fruit as well as eliminating anything containing high fructose corn syrup from my apartment) I have become a salad-for-lunch eater.

Salads are quick to make, easy to eat, and flexible enough I haven't gotten bored yet.

I make my salads the night before usually and take them with me. I can generally be found munching my leaves around Posvar in between work and classes, reading the Pitt News.


This is a "sample salad" that I made to take with me tomorrow, where I will wolf it down after Sociology of Religion, before I head to work.


I tend to buy pre-cut bags of salad. Mostly, because I'm lazy. I tend to buy whatever is on sale, so it could be romaine one week, a radicchio and endive the next, etc. Sometimes I will buy endives or bibb or Boston if they look good and chop them up myself. Whatever seems easier that week.

I have gotten pretty creative with what I throw in my salad. The salad above has chopped up tofu that was marinated in lemon and pepper that I bought and needed to use. I also threw a handful of trail mix that I made (containing pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and slivered almonds) over the top as well.

I often throw in artichoke hearts, olives, different kinds of nuts, various fruits (pecans and orange or apple and walnuts combinations are delicious)l. I've decided you can put pretty much anything into a salad.

In terms of dressings, sometimes I make my own, combinations of apple cider vinegar or balsamic, Dijon mustard, olive oil. Or I buy a low-cal all natural dressing and keep it in my fridge. (To prevent my salad from getting yucky - I take it in a small reusable container that I keep separate from my salad until its ready to be eaten.)

So get creative - post any and all salad-inspired tips you'd like to share.

Happy munching!

-Robin-

No comments: