Thursday, April 3, 2008

From Easter

Almond Praline Ice Cream Torte

This isn't a formal post, just a review of a dessert recipe I made for Easter dinner at my house and a photo of the result.

I normally peruse the vast realm of epicurious.com weeks before a holiday to get the menu just right (or rather, my charge of the menu, the desserts.) This past Easter, the holiday snuck-up on me, and I was just not on my game. I pulled this recipe out of the hat last minute because I was in the mood to attempt something with a meringue. (Preferably not with cake or icing - I'm not a fan of the combo of icing and meringue.) And who doesn't love ice cream?

You can find the recipe here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/14027

It was a rather intense but fun process. I liked the almond praline butter but thought it was a little too sweet for my taste (and this was after 1.5ing the almonds.) Maybe letting the caramel get a little darker would have given it more flavor to overcome the sweetness. I also 1.5ed the ice cream overall (following a suggestion in the recipe reviews.) I would have doubled the ice cream, but there wasn't enough room in my spring-form pan.

Overall, the ice cream torte was uniformly sweet. I thought it needed more differentiation in taste, though the texture of the meringue against the ice cream was nice. I might try the method again, adding another flavor.

~*'Biz'*~

No comments: