Friday, January 2, 2009

This One Goes Out to the One I Love

A certain very special someone (although he does not know it ... yet) had a birthday this past week. In fact, he had two birthdays - which means that he got two birthday treats. The first were the Snickers brownies I made him on Christmas. The second was a Chocolate Strawberry Cake I made him on New Years Day. I'm not going to lie - I worked really hard on this cake. And it turned out amazing. He said the cake was beautiful (no word yet if it was incredibly delicious, I suspect it was) and that it made his day.

That's what I was going for.

Chocolate Strawberry Cake
The cake recipe is here. (It had such rave reviews, I figured it would be a safe call to make.)



I made a 9 x 13 rectangle layer and then a 9 x 9 square layer (the layers were thick, it was a lot of cake batter!).

Once the layers had cooled completely, I placed the rectangle layer on a pretty tray, and spread strawberry preserves (holiday gift from my Grandma) over the top of the cake.

Then I placed the square layer on top of the strawberry preserves. I decorated the cake with piped whipped cream and strawberries.
So that seems to be how we're starting the New Year off here- making cakes for unrequited loves. I hope your 2009 has begun in a slightly more reciprocal way. : )
Happy New Year everyone - and Happy Eating!
-Robin-

No comments: