Sunday, January 11, 2009

Ladies' Night Dinner

On the rare night I have off from the hotel, my coworkers from the Institute and I like to grab dinner and have a ladies' night. Dinner 10 out of 10 times is at Pizza Paradiso.

Paradiso has two locations: there's one in Georgetown (which Ashley and I have had date night at is larger but in some ways more intimate - meaning more of date place- and has a much larger beer menu) and there's one in Dupont, which is small and has a neighborhood feel and always has a wait.

We frequent the Dupont one for convenience sake: its near the red line and its not far from the office. Last night was such an occasion: Megan, Ashley, Brittany (Ashley's sister), and I met for a mid-weekend catch up, complaining about life, and some really good pizza.

All my dinner companions got some variation of the Margherita pizza. Ashley and Brittany split a large and got onions on it. Megan got an individual Margherita. And I, per usual, got the individual Bosco (mushrooms, spinach, onions) with soy mozzarella (now, do you see why I like this place?).

I should mention that we started with the Bruschetta - which was marinated white beans and halved cherry tomatoes on homemade bread. It was delicious, don't get me wrong, but if you're expecting some sort of tomato/basil combo this isn't the bruschetta for you. Brittany, an avid bean hater (which I no understand), took one look at it and refrained. It WAS really good - just not the traditional Italian-American bruschetta I'm used to.

I should mention that the pizza is cooked in a wood-burning stone oven. Yeah. It's that kind of pizza. It's hot and fast and has that traditional-cooking-method smokey taste. It's some of the best quality pizza you can get in DC.

So that was last night. Today is a typical overcast mid-January Sunday. I've been taking down holiday decorations (Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas- no joke) from around the apartment in the hopes of cleaning everything up before Amanda gets home next weekend from Idaho.

I'll probably be doing some cooking later, so expect a post or two about what I'm eating this week before I leave for Florida.

Happy Eating!

-Robin-

No comments: