Sunday, January 4, 2009

Asylum Brunch - Biker Bar and Vegan (!)

My coworker Ashley and I got to meet Kevin (also coworker/ vegetarian cook extraordinaire) 's new boyfriend Tim today over brunch.

I was late (s-l-o-w metro) but we had brunch around 1:30 pm in Adam's Morgan at Asylum. Asylum is a biker bar/ hipster hang out by night and a brunch place by weekend day. They have a whole vegan menu (in addition to a regular menu, I should mention).

http://www.asylumdc.com/newHome.htm

I didn't get any photos but we had mimosas and (vegan) bloody mary's (I think the BMs were better ... but I really like them/ normally can't have them because they're not Robin-friendly).

Ashley got the blueberry pancakes (which were vegan and great, not sure they were AS great as Kiva Han, but I'm super duper biased). Kevin got the vegan burrito wrap, which was delicious (I should note I sampled off both their plates ... to the point of being obnoxious). Tim got an eggy-something, which I didn't try but he seemed to like.

I ordered the hot wings: great texture, not hot. Spak Brothers in Pittsburgh is still my hold out for best faux wings. I also got the vegan BLT because I've been moaning for one since last week. It was really good. Lots of vegan mayo and a pickle.

We had a great time, lots of fun chatter. We really like Tim (and we LOVE Kevin). After brunch we wandered to Sticky Fingers, where I got a peanut butter fudge cupcake and a peppermint brownie (the brownie is in my purse for tomorrow, I'm not that much of a fat kid). We also hung out in the gentrification of Columbia Heights, scoping out the Target.

A pretty great Sunday, I highly recommend Asylum. I think I'll be there again ... soon.

Happy Eating!

-Robin-

No comments: