Sunday, June 22, 2008

Quick Tex-Mex Dinner

Good news: my apartment now has Internet! So expect more frequent updates.

I am also back to my to rummaging-through-cabinets to find food ways. For dinner the other night, I created a Tex-Mex dish for Amanda and myself out of found foodstuffs in our kitchen.

It also wound up being gluten-free (in case Emily is reading this!)

Spicy Tex-Mex Filling

1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can black beans
2 tomatoes, diced (we had some left from the farmers market, so I chopped them up and threw them in. It also helped defuse some of the spiciness of the canned tomatoes.)
1 ripe avocado, diced (left over from a trip to Aldi's discount grocery store near my grandparent's house).
2 tablespoons lemon juice (to help keep the avocado pieces from browning)
Salt, pepper, and TONS of dried cilantro (because Amanda likes cilantro)
Package of corn tortillas

To Do:

I dumped the cans of tomatoes and beans into a big mixing bowl.
Then I chopped up the tomatoes and the avocado and added them to the mixing bowl.
I added the lemon juice over the avocado and the salt, pepper, and cilantro.
I heated the filling in a pot on the stove; at the same time I toasted the corn tortillas in a skillet.

Our dining room table, quasi-set for dinner.

Notes:

This could VERY easily be modified with whatever you have on hand/whatever your favorite Tex-Mex flavors are.

This would make a great taco filling.

I'm sure there's a cheesy-gooey recipe that could be made from this as well.

Please change it around and post your findings!

Happy Eating!

-Robin-

No comments: