Monday, June 30, 2008

Eating Healthier

One of my college roommates, Erica (Lehigh graduate student/master seamstress) and I were gchatting last week about wanting to eat healthier. She and Greg (her boyfriend) have been making a conscious effort recently to eat better, influenced by all the yummy things Erica has been growing in their garden this season. I sent her a few recipes yesterday, including this one, which I decided to make as an ode to her (and to eat well!).

Chickpea Stew for Erica

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced onion (I used the rest of a spring onion bought at the farmer's market Saturday, but yellow or white works just as well)
1 cup diced carrot (I used baby carrots, because that's what we had in the fridge)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (I may have used a little more than one ... hey, some like it hot)
1 1/2 cups cubed peeled potato (the recipe calls for Yukon gold, I had one red and one ... regular brown skin? potato, so I used those)
2 teaspoons ground cumin (This is really a guideline, its more like "to taste" - meaning more)
1 teaspoon chili powder (see above note about the cumin)
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric (again, see above)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cans (30ish ounces) diced tomatoes, or fresh if they're in season
1 can (16 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 cups (16 ounces) vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
3 cups brown rice or whole wheat couscous

To Do:

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and jalapeño to the pan, saute until tender. Stir in potato and the next seven ingredients (through the broth). Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, allowing the stew to simmer for about 15 minutes until the potato is tender. Serve over the rice/couscous.


This stew yields a lot of food! (Roughly 6 generous portions!) Both Amanda and I packed some for lunch today.

Happy Eating!

-Robin-




No comments: