Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Little Something Delicious

This week is all about consuming the random foods I have in my apartment before I move down to DC. Here is an example of a quick lunch or light dinner I made this afternoon.

Found Ingredients:

1 Garnette Yam from California (purchased last week at Whole Foods)
8 stalks of frozen asparagus (I know that its asparagus season, but I have frozen spears from Trader Joe's in my freezer that need to get used up)
8 whole walnuts, broken up into small pieces (left over from yesterday's Nut Log baking, see previous posting)
Palm full of dried cranberries
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Sprinkle of garlic powder

How To:

I washed the yam and cut the ends off (because they looked bad). I scored it with a knife in an X shape on the top and put it in the microwave in a bowl for 2 1/2 minutes.

While the yam heated, I combined the balsamic vinegar, cinnamon, walnuts, and cranberries in a small bowl. This way everything got coated.

When then the microwave beeped, I put the frozen asparagus into the bowl with the yam and let it heat for another 2 minutes.

When it was done, I used a fork to open the yam along where I had made the X and poured the walnut/cranberry mixture into the yam.

I sprinkled the asparagus with garlic powder and it was complete.

A simple lunch or light dinner that lessens the load of food I have to pack up and move.
-Robin-

No comments: