Saturday, May 3, 2008

Let's Strip

Today, Biz, Mike, and I went to the Strip District. Our first stop was La Prima, where Biz knows EVERYONE who works there.

I have been going there since I was in 6th grade, so it's kind of a given. At 11, I was getting il cioccolato (hot chocolate) ... now it's a doppio macchiato made with skim (a double espresso marked with skim). What can I say? I'm hard-core.


There's Biz, shmoozing at La Prima counter.
She makes such attractive faces, I thought this one was blog-worthy.
I have a large repertoire of expressions - stay tuned for the blog long enough and you might see them all.

Next stop was Reyna's Mexican Foods; I always get amused going in there. I think they should have parties down the aisles and give children bats with which to hit the pinatas. Robin made the point that you have to be careful though. Not because candy will fall on your head but because some of the items on their shelves are past the expiration date. Bad past experiences, so check labels before you buy!


Pinatas in honor of Cinco de Mayo at Reyna's.
... Robin's confused, those pinatas are always there - the Mexicans know how to party.


No, there were WAY more pinatas today than usual. Reyna's was particularly festive today.

Good stuff. (My favorite Greek food store and the best place to buy my daily breakfast - Fage yogurt)
Not good stuff. St. Patrick's Day is WAY over.


I was oddly fascinated by the sign posted at the exit to Stamooli's. The Mexicans know how to party... the Greeks know how to have a funeral?...

We stopped at the Penn Ave Fish Company for lunch (Mike and I ate, Robin hung out and watched Henry the fishmonger). This is my personal favorite place to get fish in Pittsburgh - so fresh and so delicious.


What can I say? I like the mongers.


Henry, washing fish guts at the Penn Avenue Fish Company. Robin makes it sound so unappealing, what remains following the removal of fish entrails is an incredible piece of fishy flesh.


The process is unappealing. Henry is very appealing.
Henry held a tail-less shark up for us when we said it was for the blog. Oh the power of running a food blog.
Biz and Mike having sashimi for lunch at the Penn Avenue Fish Company.
Mike looks like he's very angry in this picture. Or like he's going to steal my fish.

Not included in this post are our visits to Penn Mac and the ever-prominent cheese counter, Mancini's Bread (where I bought Sarah, my sister, cinnamon sugar butter) , an antique stand, and a Vietnamese food shop.

-Robin- and ~*'Biz'*~

No comments: