Saturday, March 29, 2008

Why Hasn't He Called? Chocolate Cupcakes



Sometimes when you think a guy is going to call you and you're sitting around waiting:
you Swifter the floor, you clean your bathroom, you do laundry, you cut out articles from magazines you want to save - and you bake chocolate cupcakes.

And then feel guilty about shoveling them in your face...

Why Hasn't He Called? Chocolate Cupcakes

(This is the full recipe, I halved it so that I wouldn't be tempted to eat 24 cupcakes instead of a dozen.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray or butter a muffin tin with 12 large cups.

Mix together:

1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups regular all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients:

3 eggs (I used egg replacer, worked fine)
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (I used soy milk that I soured with 1 tablespoon of vinegar)
3/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Blend the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stir until smooth.
Pour into the muffin tin until the cups are 3/4 full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Makes about 18 large cupcakes.
Let cool, then frost as desired.

Possible frosting ideas:

I used vanilla, but Wendy likes a mixture of cream cheese frosting and peanut butter.

Downside:

The cupcakes are VERY moist, which means they tend to fall apart. I didn't use paper wrappers and I should have to keep them together.

In the photograph: UCC lover/my current roommate, Shawna McCallin.

-Robin-

No comments: