Saturday, December 6, 2008

Vegan Portuguese Kale Stew

My good friend Colin is making a 10 day visit to the East Coast. In his honor, I had our mutual friends over for dinner on Thursday. Andy brought the bread, Caitlin and Ashley brought the wine and apple crisp for dessert. I was in charge of "dinner". Soup/stew is generally a good call with a large crowd (there were 6 of us for dinner).

I was leaning towards making my traditional winter vegetable soup, but I realized I had made it for the break-fast on Yom Kippur, so I wanted to branch out and make a new hearty stew for everyone to try.

I had some vegetarian chorizo in the fridge, which I used at the inspiration for this stew. I picked up the kale and turnip at the organic market by my house, but the rest was found bits from my kitchen.


Vegan Portuguese Kale Stew

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1/2 cup diced onion

1 large diced turnip

3 large diced carrots

1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped

4 soy chorizo sausages, chopped

3 bay leaves

3 tablespoons parsley

2 tablespoons thyme

6 cups vegetable stock

1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

3 red potatoes, diced


Heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, onion, turnip, and carrots. Heat for 5 minutes, then add the chopped chorizo.

Add the stock over the vegetables. Then add the spices and potatoes. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.

Add the beans and the kale, a handful at a time until the bunch is incorporated into the stew.

Salt and pepper to taste.


This stew was amazing. It made 8 good servings, because Andy had seconds (no judgement there! I take it as a compliment!) and I had one leftover for lunch the next day.

The colors were amazing and it made me feel good to eat it (as in I knew I was eating really healthy and it tasted great). I will be making this stew part of my recipe book, I think it will be making repeat performances a lot this weekend.

I'm sure I'll be cooking more this week for Colin while he's here, so expect more hearty meals!

Happy Eating!

-Robin-

No comments: